Tuesday, December 31, 2013

An Incredible Year - 2013 Memories

What better way to end the calendar year than by reminiscing with friends and family about all the good (and bad) times? I know some people are not as excited about looking back on past memories, but I love it. I'm not saying I'm going to "live in the past" but just looking back to remember all the moments. Here are some of my favorite moments of the great year of 2013: 

1. Watching my dad and brother receive individual awards for their farming achievements. My dad is such a hard worker and is constantly trying to find ways to better his (and the country's) corn crop. My brother is following in his footsteps and working hard to learn everything from my dad and to bring his own ideas to the fields. 

2. My best friend growing up got engaged! I sadly did not witness it, but her wonderful friend from college captured the moment and her reaction was priceless. I am so happy for her and her hubby-to-be! 

3. Spending time with Charlotte. I know this is not very specific but she was my mom's best friend and practically my second mom. I am glad I got to spend 21 years with her and that I was able to form memories with her in 2013 before she passed away in July. It has been really challenging, but I know she will always be with me and my family. 

4. Catching a citation bass. Okay, so Robbie and I may not have measured it with an actual tape measure and scale, but we are both certain it was a citation! I was so excited and I know he was super proud of me for catching it. It is safe to say that it is one to be remembered, especially since I out fished Robbie that day and many other days this summer! 

5. Starting VCU. Yes, I transferred to VCU from Radford and it was the best decision for me. I love my school and I feel so confident about being able to reach my goal to becoming a nurse (even if I have had a pretty bumpy road). 

6. Witnessing three weddings and all three were unique to each couple getting married (as weddings should be!). I was able to see my dear friend Claire (from Cherries on the Hill) wed her amazing husband and I am not ashamed to admit that I cried during their gorgeous ceremony! I hope my minister is half as good as theirs was when I get married someday. I also got to see a good friend of mine since we were born marry her wonderful hubby. They live in the same county as I do and their wedding was perfection for them, and I'm not just saying that because it was a country weddings and cowboy boots were the bride's shoes (but it helps)! I also got to witness Robbie's cousin get married in September and hers was also gorgeous! Watching her husband read the note she wrote in the Bible when the ceremony was starting and then watching his reaction as she came down the aisle was incredible. I felt like I was witnessing a fairytale wedding, especially since she looked like a princess in her dress. Can y'all tell I'm a sucker for weddings? Well, romance in general to be honest! 

7. Going to the Outer Banks for the first time after Charlotte's death. I know this seems sad, but it was so good to go. We went 2 months after her passing. My mom and I went to see the owner at our favorite knitting store so we could figure out how to finish some of Charlotte's projects. I'm not saying it was easy, especially since the beach was the three of ours favorite thing to do together, but I will not forget that trip with my mom. The weather was perfect for fall (cool, but not cool enough to where we couldn't walk on the beach). We played card games at night, went shopping, ate at our favorite places and even branched out and did some exploring, resulting in us finding a perfect coffee shop in Manteo. It was bittersweet, but a weekend that will never be forgotten. 

8. Going to a nice restaurant for my 22nd birthday in November just so we could have their homemade margaritas. I can't stand margaritas made from a mix, but this restaurant made theirs 100%! We waited 1.5 hours to sit down to eat (meaning we had plenty of time to sit outside, sip on drinks, and talk)... it was a warm night, thank goodness. Anyways, when we sat down to eat, we all ordered burgers. I bet the waiter was not too happy, but honestly, that's what I wanted: a GOOD margarita and a burger. It didn't hurt that the burgers were almost the cheapest thing on the menu, but what can I say? 10 out of 12 of us were all raised in the country and spending $25 on chicken and veggies seemed a little ridiculous! 

I hope y'all have an amazing New Year's Eve! If you are going to be on the road, stay safe and alert. I am always so nervous on this holiday, so I avoid road travel as much as possible. A small dinner at home and watching the ball drop on TV is by idea of a good night, with a glass of champagne of course! 

Happy New Years! 

XOXO, 
Amber 

2 comments:

Comments are always helpful, and I love to hear y'alls thoughts as well!